Helping Bernalillo County & Albuquerque Residents
Understand Their Options
We all know people who have gone through a divorce. We have heard the nightmare stories and distressing outcomes. You have choices in how you end your relationship. Not everyone needs to go to court and have the judge decide, which is known as “litigation.”
You and your partner have options, including:
- Negotiate an agreement yourself and have a lawyer prepare the legal paperwork
- Use a neutral mediator/settlement facilitator to help you reach an agreement
Mediation or settlement facilitation is an option seriously worth considering for many couples. You and your partner probably already have a good idea of how you want to divide things and continue to raise your children in the future.
If this is true, consider meeting with our Albuquerque legal separation lawyers together to learn about our services as a neutral mediator.
She is a member of the International, New Mexico, and Albuquerque Practice Groups. This can be the quickest and least expensive way to finalize your divorce or legal separation in New Mexico.
Everyone’s support was wonderful, and so needed, during such a brutal, emotional, and heartbreaking time. - M.F.
There is no real difference with the legal steps of getting a full decree of dissolution of marriage or of legal separation. In both instances, the couple identifies and allocates property and debt, decides on custody and visitation of the children, calculates child support and determines spousal support.
A person can file for legal separation in New Mexico when there has been a permanent physical separation of the spouses. Being legally separated does not give either party the ability to marry another person as you are technically still married to your spouse.
Only through a full decree of dissolution of marriage (divorce) are the spouses able to legally marry another person. Our family lawyers can advise you on whether a legal separation or a divorce is appropriate to your situation.
This Is Your Divorce, No One Else’s
This may not be your first divorce. Fortunately, times have changed and people now have more choices to end a marriage or get legally separated.
The main ways in which couples get divorced now include:
- Settlement facilitation / mediation
- Negotiation in the context of litigation
- Litigation – a trial where the judge makes the decisions
As your legal separation attorneys in Albuquerque, we can explain how each process works and the steps necessary to hopefully achieve a positive resolution. We want to help you move on with your life and gain a fresh start.
- We think outside the box to find the best solution for you and your family.
- Our lead attorney has extensive experience in private practice & as a former prosecutor, and will take your case to trial.
- Our team has 20+ years of experience.
- We will manage expectations and not promise more than what the law would allow given the facts of your case.
My partner and I were thrilled with our entire experience with this firm from start to finish.