Tamara Hoffstatter began her legal career as an assistant prosecuting attorney in Muskegon, Michigan in the juvenile/abuse and neglect department. In the years that followed, she practiced in personal injury, insurance subrogation, collections, and bankruptcy law in the States of Maryland and Michigan in order to gain as much trial experience as possible. After honing her trial skills, she opened a firm in Michigan dedicated to the practice of insurance subrogation, commercial collections, and bankruptcy.
While working in that legal field, she became aware of a common overlap between bankruptcy/collection cases, and divorce cases, which affords her a unique perspective in her approach to the financial aspects of a divorce case. A growing interest in family law, coupled with her enthusiasm as a young attorney working with children and families, led her to take a position with a nationwide family law firm in its Michigan office and allowed her to return to the legal arena that first sparked her interest in client advocacy.
In 2013, the firm approached her to relocate to New Mexico to open up a branch office in Albuquerque. She is currently an associate at NM Divorce & Custody Law, LLC where she practices exclusively in family law. She and her wife Michelle raised two children together and are also the proud “parents” of six rescue dogs. She graduated from the University of Iowa in 1996 with a B.S., with honors, in political science. She is a 1999 graduate of the University of Iowa College of Law.
Publications & Presentations
- Retail Collection Practices From Start to Finish, NBI, Detroit, MI 2006 & 2007
- Parenting Plans, Annual Family Law Retreat, Ojo Caliente, NM, 2015
- Handling Complex Bankruptcy Issues in Divorce Cases, Durango, CO, 2016
- “Rewinding the Clock: In Extreme Cases, Parental Rights Can be Voluntarily Terminated”, New Mexico Lawyer, February 2016
- "Family Law - From Start to Finish," National Business Institute, April 24, 2018
- "Divorce Procedures, Initial Steps, and Preliminary Orders & Enforcing the Judgment, and Contempt Proceedings," National Business Institute, April 24, 2018
Professional Associations & Client-Service Activities
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico, Family Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico, Animal Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Maryland
- Albuquerque Bar Association
- National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Association of Credit and Collection Professionals
- NM 2nd Judicial District Court – Peter H. Johnstone Pro Se Day volunteer mediator for divorce and custody cases
Contact Tamara L. Hoffstatter
When you find yourself in need of a dedicated Albuquerque family law attorney, our highly skilled team at NM Divorce & Custody Law, LLC can help. We are prepared to help you address your family law matters ranging from divorce and child custody to pre-marital legal counseling.
Call us today at (505) 431-4716 to schedule your initial consultation.